Saturday, September 18, 2010

Blog Post #4

1. Don't Teach your students this stuff. Please? By: Dr. Scott Mcleod

In my opinion, Dr. Mcleod has an interesting way of going about the way he represents his point. I like his method very much. However, if I had not already read some other blogs that the author was being sarcastic when introducing his/her blog, than I may have not known that this was his way of getting the reader's attention. Naming a blog like this one is very catching and I believe that it gives people a reason to read it. If I had came across this blog before I started taking EDM 310, I would have stopped to read it just to find out what it was about. Kudos to Dr. Mcleod!
Who is Dr. Mcleod? Well, by reading this post I was not certain who he was so I looked up some information. I found out Dr. Mcleod is a leading academic expert, Associate professor in Educational Administration Program , and the Director of UCEA Center for the  Advanced Study of Technology leadership in Education (CASTLE). If I must say a very busy man and great person to find when you need answers about technology.

2. The iSchool initative

Let me start off by saying that this student did an awesome job representing his point. He includes a lot of details and useful information. Personally, this video left me questioning this technology. The reason I question this technology is because I am not sure how it will work. I feel that by using this technology that it will almost be as though the students are taking an on- line class. And I personally do not care to much for on- line class. Another point that I would like to bring up is that I see where the school would purchase these tools of technology. What happens if the student breaks the device? Who is responsible for fixing the iTouch? I would agree that there are pros to this but there are also cons. I agree that it could be environmentally better, but what about the cost and who will teach students how to work the iTouch. I personally would not want to put a student responsible for an iTouch. You say well they are only 150 dollars, but if ten students break their iTouch the first week and they personally do not have the money to replace the iTouch than who will replace them. I am sorry I just cannot agree with this. For me the cons out weigh the pros, give me more information and I may re consider the idea, right now there are too many questions.

3. Lost Generation

My reaction to this film was amazed! I was sitting here thinking how unusual it was for her to be talking so negative about her future. When she started reading it backwards I realized that it made perfect sense and her point was that we are the change. I feel that she was showing us that we make the difference by our actions and that the small things in life add up. I liked the way the video caught my attention and made me think about the earth and where we would be if we do not make a difference.

4. Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir "Lux Aurumque"

WOW!!!! This was amazing and this is the best thing that I have seen so far in this class. I could believe that something like this is possible.... I also find it amazing that these people have never met and that the people are from all around the world. This use of Internet is astonishing... Technology can take us all around the world.

2 comments:

  1. Crystal,

    I thought you made some great points in your post, but how do you feel about what Dr. McLeod said. Do you agree that we should let children use technology, or is it harmful?

    I think you have a great perspective on the iSchool initiative also. I personally do not like online classes either, and I do not love looking at a screen for long periods of time. I think that the idea is great, and that it could one day become the way students learn; however, I believe that a lot needs to be considered and re-evaluated.

    I also loved the Lost Generation video. I think it is great how she presents the material, and I love the message she conveys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not believe that technology is always harmful! I can understand where Dr. McLeod is coming from and if children are not supervised or blocked from certain sites they will get into trouble and they may wander onto websites that they do not need to be on. Children will be children so for their safety, certain web sites should be blocked. But I feel that children should still be aloud to use the internet.

    ReplyDelete