Monday, October 18, 2010

Blog Post 9

                   "What I've Learned this year" by Mr. McClung
  
This post was very interesting and motivating. I felt like Mr. McClung learned a lot from his first year of being a teacher. I love the fact that he said that we must always continue to learn. Learning new things is the best way to be a good teacher. I also agree with him that you are there for the students and how they learn. I feel that often time we forget that the students are still children and it takes time. I also agree that teachers should not be afraid of technology, but they should learn new and interesting ways to include technology and new ways to teach students new ideas. The one and only thing that I am not sure about was the fact that he said that we set our expectations to high. That one does not make a whole lot of since to me. The reason I say this is because I feel that if we expect less from our students than we are not pushing them to be the best that they can be. I feel that we should expect the HIGHEST out of our students and if they fail we pick them up and encourage them to do better and help them do better. I believe every student is different and every student should have their own set of expectations.http://attheteachersdesk.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-i-learned-this-year.html

3 comments:

  1. Hey Crystal! I am assigned to your blog this week! How crazy. My favorite part of this blog by Mr.McClung, was the part where he discusses that we are to be there for the students and nothing else. I loved how you said "the students are still children and it takes time." I enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so long as you are completely confident with your ability to assess your students potential. I think it is less more dangerous to sell you student short by expecting to little than to ask them to strive for too much and become frustrated. Both situations are less than ideal, but the ladder is a situation that may come with a pleasant surprise. I think you can avoid expectations altogether by making your learning strategies open to creative productions to demonstrate high level understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anthony,

    I am sorry but I do not agree. I feel that we should always have expectations for our students. Take a step back and think about those children that have no encouragement from home. Those children may not have anyone to expect the good or the bad... Everyone wants to know that they are important to someone in their lives and I feel that if you expect and encourage students to do their best than they will feel LOVED. Simply encouraging and expecting things from your students may change their lives. Technology may change a lot of things but it will not change children wanting to feel important.

    ReplyDelete